Unleash Your Strength: The Incredible Benefits of Resistance Training
- July , 2023
- Zach Janczak
At Starting Point Fitness, we believe that every journey towards health and wellness begins with a strong foundation. That’s why we advocate for the transformative power of resistance training. This can be accomplished with weights, resistance bands, or bodyweight exercises. Stimulating muscle fibers will lead to growth, recruitment of additional muscle fibers, and a faster firing nervous system. Often overlooked, resistance training offers a multitude of benefits that extend far beyond just building muscle. Join us as we explore the remarkable advantages of lifting weights.
- Increased Strength and Muscle Mass: Resistance training, also known as weightlifting, is renowned for its ability to promote strength and build lean muscle. By challenging your muscles against an external resistance, multiple physiological responses are benefiting a handful of your internal systems. To say a few; the endocrine (controlling hormone regulation), skeletal (bones), nervous (communicators), and of course the muscular system will adapt to a stimulus. As a result the body will repair the broken down muscle fibers. Making them bigger, stronger, and more durable, your functional strength will be enhanced. Thus, with consistent resistance training you’ll not only feel tighter, look more toned, but have the functional strength to perform daily activities with more ease .
- Enhanced Metabolic Rate: Engaging in regular resistance training has a positive impact on your metabolism. As you build lean muscle mass, your body’s metabolic rate increases, leading to more calories burned even at rest. This can be especially beneficial for weight management. A higher metabolic rate helps in achieving and maintaining a healthy body composition. Resistance training helps sculpt your physique while turning your body into a calorie-burning machine 24/7.
- Increased Bone Density: Another remarkable benefit of resistance training is its ability to strengthen bones. Weight-bearing exercises, such as squats, lunges, and deadlifts, place stress on your bones. As a result, it will force the body to build new bone tissue. This is particularly important for individuals at risk of osteoporosis or age- related bone loss. By incorporating resistance training into your fitness routine, you promote bone health. With that, you will be reducing the risk of fractures and other negatively impactful bone-related conditions.
- Improved Joint Health and Injury Prevention: Contrary to popular belief, proper resistance training with correct form can actually improve joint health and reduce the risk of injury. When following a well balanced resistance training program based on your body type and performing reps with proper form/technique, you are strengthening the muscles surrounding the joints. Therefore, there is improvement in joint stability and support. Stronger muscles help to alleviate stress on the joints and protect them against common injuries. Additionally, resistance training promotes flexibility and range of motion, keeping your joints mobile and functional.
- Enhanced Daily Functionality and Quality of Life: The benefits of resistance training extend beyond the gym. By building functional strength, you’ll experience improved performance in everyday activities. Lifting heavy objects, climbing stairs, and carrying groceries become easier and less taxing. Moreover, resistance training has been shown to enhance overall quality of life. From boosting self-confidence, to improving mood, to decreasing stress, to increasing energy levels, what more can we want?
- Long-Term Health Benefits: Resistance training has numerous long-term health benefits. Regular participation in resistance exercises has been associated with a reduced risk of chronic conditions such as heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers. It can also help manage chronic pain, improve posture, and promote better sleep. It is important to have the correct mindset when incorporating resistance training into your fitness regimen. We must view this lifestyle commitment as an investment toward our long-term health and well-being.
At Starting Point Fitness, we encourage you to embrace the power of resistance training and unlock your full potential. From increased strength and muscle mass to improved metabolic rate and bone density, the benefits of resistance training are undeniable. Not only will you transform your physique, but you’ll experience an enhanced daily functionality, improved joint health, and long-term health benefits. Join us on this empowering journey of strength and vitality. Together, we’ll elevate your fitness to new heights, one rep at a time.
If you are interested in learning more about resistance training or have questions please contact us now! Otherwise, we’d love to give you a FREE HOUR of our time through our complimentary “Smart Start Session” and help you anyway we can. Don’t waste another day “thinking about it” or second guessing your form or following a well balanced program based on your capability/goals. It is our due diligence to serve not just our members, but to make a positive impact on all the lives we encounter.